Tuesday, February 21, 2006

"I See People Falling"



Sometimes when I'm sitting in front of the TV and watching the winter Olympic games in Torino, Italy, I feel a little guilt. I don't want to say that I am pessimist, or that I love to see the others fail, but I kind of enjoy seeing people failing. When a girl in figure skating falls, it feels as if you don't want to look, but you have to...



I really love to watch the jumps, it excites me to know that people can flip that many times… the bobsled is one of my favorite too, it can reach high speeds and it makes a cool noise.



When someone is performing whatever sport, sometimes I think what that person went through before the Olympic games. It has at least 4 year of intensive training, and discipline, so to see them fail, doesn’t mean they are not good. I would not be able to do 1/10 of what they can do, but when they fall, or they do something wrong, it seems as if I have a suggestion or a comment to make to that person. It seems so easy to spot what the problem was with that person, and sometimes it is easy to forget how much it took for them to be where they are, many of them gave up social life, marriages, kids, and even some dreams so they could achieve their ultimate goal of being a Olympic medalist.



Sometimes I wonder why do people compete. I personally don’t think that competition is a Godly act. Satan was kicked out of heaven because he wanted to compete with God to see who was greater. However, what would we be if there were no competitions? We would be boring human beings with lots of free time in our hands and nothing to do. Competition adds spice to our life, but I think it can be very dangerous. Competition starts to be harmful after someone get so drowned to the competition that she or he will do anything to win.



One of my friends came to me one day and told me he did not think it was bad to have competitions, and I asked him why. He told me that he enjoys running, and he likes the feeling of competing against others. Up to this point it is OK, but if you look at the competitors, whoever is humble never wins.



Whoever doesn’t think that he or she is the best, it will be very hard to win. If you accept second place, you will never achieve the first place. So if you start competing, even if it is for the write reasons, the road will usually lead you to a self centered, egoistic life stile, and God will probably be out of the scene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home